We all want to know that our family is safe at all times and at some point in our life we need to know that it is a never-ending process between granting freedom to your loved ones and wanting them to always be at your line of sight. And for that reason, family locator apps are very important when tracking your loved ones’ whereabouts.
Odds are, if you have teenagers in your home, they might carry a mobile phone with them all the time. Sometimes, you might wish they’d just put this device down and engage with the outside world around them more. If your children are too hooked up, why not use this for the advantage of everyone?
Thanks to the latest technology, Android as well as iOS devices already has the capability to find a device and locate another mobile phone. You just need to have is a locator app. But with so many family tracking apps available, it could be difficult to find the best one that best suits you according to your requirements. To help you decide, we’ve prepared a list of 9 Best Family Locator Apps for Android and iOS that you could choose from.
Also Read: 5 Best Tech News Apps [ Stay Updated ]
- 1 Reasons for Family Locator Apps
- 2 How Does a Family Locator App Work?
- 3 9 Best for Android and iOS Family Locator Apps
- 4 Final Words
Reasons for Family Locator Apps
There are several reasons for which you might need to have a family locator app. However, to locate your family you will certainly need the best family locator app for Android or your iOS device that will help you track and trace your family members when and wherever they are.
- Safety of family members
If you can locate your family members through a locator app, it becomes very easy to find them in the times of need. In case, if one of your family members are in trouble, you will be able to trace the person by locating their last location and even reach that place to help them out.
- Security of children
Whenever children go out, you have to be concerned where they are exactly. But if you can trace them with the help of family locator app, you will be able to know where are they going and take necessary actions accordingly.
- Sudden Plans
There might be a situation when you get a holiday at your office and you really to take full advantage of chance by planning to spend time with your family members. In that case, a family locator app will let you know where your family members are currently and this will help you fix a place that will be easy and accessible for them to reach at almost the same time.
How Does a Family Locator App Work?
A family locator app lets you find another phone based on an aerial map. The app looks up another phone’s location with the help of GPS.
This technology is quite simple to help you and your loved ones locate each other’s phones in real-time.
Also Read: 5 Best Slow Motion Video Apps for Android
9 Best for Android and iOS Family Locator Apps
Location tracking cannot always be considered as a shady feature. It might prove to be the best service when you need to know where are your kids at a specific time. We would agree to the fact that it does need to bother us whenever our loved ones are traveling. Now texting and calling is also an alternate option but this option might not help when someone is driving or in a long meeting miles away from home. For the purpose of being helpful, below you can find a list of few apps that would let you share and see the location of your family members and friends if they are comfortable to share.
Note: We are not including native apps such as Find my Device on Android and Find my iPhone on iOS. However, all the below mentioned apps are for platforms iOS and Android.
Glympse is a completely free family locator app that works fine on any web-enabled device.
The users of Glympse does get a say in who gets to track their information and for how long. This information is sent via text, email, or any other social network.
Users have the discretion whether they want to show their location and ETA. This option could be a major drawback because the location notifications aren’t automatic, and similarly, the location can’t be accessed freely by other family members. It requires your children to remember to send you updates every so often, and you can’t track them in real time.
Features of Glympse:
- Real-time location tracking
- Supports Geofencing features
- In-app navigation
- Messaging features
- Users can manually turn on or off the location tracker app
- Works on Android and iOS devices
- Does not require you to install anything on a mobile device of another person
- It has a low power mode (optional) which only updates your location if someone is currently watching
- Adjust how information is seen on the program for a certain time period
- No real-time tracking
- You will require to update the location manually
2. Family Locator – GPS Tracker (Life 360)
Life360 is another interesting app developed by keeping the whole family in mind. The app will let you keep track of your kids and show you their location history but you need to keep in mind that your kid will also be able to see where you are and where you been.
Other than tracking you will able to communicate through this app as well. So, it’s something that will surely keep your family happy together.
Life360 is a very easy app to operate and it is totally free. Another really cool thing about this app is that if your kids get in their car and they start to move somewhere the app will actually locate their phone and will move it down the map. So, it doesn’t stay at one point and will tell you where they go it actually moves with them and show you where they are about to head.
What are the factors that separate Life360 from the Glympse? That factor is the notifications that you will get automatically that someone has left or arrived at a specific place. That clearly means you don’t have to constantly look at their real-time location in the app.
Features of Life360:
- It is a smart way to track your family’s location in real-time
- It also supports cross-platform location sharing
- Users can turn off location sharing option whenever they want
- Supported by Android and iOS devices
- In-app messaging feature
- Easily loads up driving directions and information of routes
- Allows people to communicate
- You can also share information on individual people within a circle that you save
- You need to send invitations to all the devices first, you want to track
- It had mixed reviews on battery usage
Price: Free, $5 monthly for premium
3. Foursquare Swarm
If you are looking for an app that can appeal to your kids instead of making them feel resentful, then Foursquare Swarm is the best option for you to go with. Swarm lets you compete for points by checking into places.
You can also turn to rack up points into a family game or offer incentives to earn points to get your kids to participate. Kids may also like that they can use Swarm to communicate with friends through messages that check in at a location, provided that those friends also have the app.
Features of Foursquare Swarm:
- Each time your check-in the app will add a pin your personal map so you can easily look back on the places you visit
- It is tracking GPS location and also networks information that is based upon the spots of check-in
- It is also working with many other types of popular destinations in the mind
- Share your location with check-in and see your friends nearby
- Tracks GPS and network info based on check-in spots
- Works with most types of popular locations in mind
- Uses up a large amount of battery power
- Works best for people familiar with Foursquare
4. Sygic Family Locator
Sygic is yet another real-time family locator app with some handy unique features.
If there is any location where you specifically don’t want your child to go, then with this app you can set up an unsafe zone. You will eventually get a notification if your child crosses the boundary to that unsafe location. On the other hand, if any unfortunate thing happens and your child gets lost, all they must do is press the SOS button as it will give you their exact location.
The premium version allows you to see location history for the past week, so you don’t have to constantly check your phone. It provides additional details such as a full address, date, and time.
Features of Sygic Family Locator:
- Watch in real-time where your family member and friends are
- Communicate with your family members with free news
- Get a notification whenever your child goes to any unsafe/dangerous places
- Easy-to-use family locator app
- Provides a full location history of where someone has gone throughout the day
- Easy to adjust safe and unsafe zones with an included map
- Allows you to track many people simultaneously
- Only works when the devices that you are targeting have enough battery power
- May not update as quickly in real time
Price: Free, $15 for premium
Also Read: Top 9 Best Selfie Apps for Android and iOS
5. Google Maps
Google Maps has a great inbuilt location sharing feature. The feature is available on almost all platforms and even web version.
On the home screen of the Google Maps app, click on the menu button that you can notice as three horizontal bars. Tap the Location Sharing tab and you’ll notice a pop-up.
Click on the ‘Get Started’ pop-up to select the contact you want to add to your list. The selected contacts will immediately start receiving your location. To be able to see their location you must have to request access and the contacts will then approve your request.
Features of Google Maps
- Google maps let you select the users to share location and the duration, too
- Accurate and real-time location sharing is provided
- Supported by iOS and Android devices
- It also maintains a timeline of your past locations that you have added
- Natively available in most of the phones
- Shows battery percentages of added devices which is quite useful in case of kids
- No notification service for coming and departure for contacts
- Battery Drain
6. Trusted Contacts
Trusted contacts app is a very useful google app to check the real-time location of your family and friends. The way it works is pretty straightforward. After installing the app, you need to select the contacts you trust in your location. Once this is done, your friends will receive an email, telling them that your trusted contacts are now.
Like most familiar tracker apps in this list, you can activate the tracking feature and send a message to your friends so they can find out where you are. But what distinguishes trusted contacts from the rest is the automatic exchange of places if the recipient does not respond for a set period of time. For example, once someone has been added to a trusted contact. They can ping for their current location. You have the option to accept or reject the location sharing request. However, if you do not reply within 5 minutes, they will have access to your last possible location.
Features of Trusted Contacts:
- Share location with a number of contacts, letting them know where you are
- Better Google Maps
- Specify a waiting time after which the app will automatically send your location to the requested contact
- Add a trusted contact with a phone number or even by email address
- Supports different languages. These include Amharic, Greek, Persian, Bahasa, Macedonian, Burmese, Nepali, Serbian, and Urdu.
- Show the general status of your phone’s battery
- Similar to Glympse, your Trusted Contacts don’t have to install any app on their phones, or even a Google account. With the help of the browser, they can track your location.
- Both parties have to enable Google’s Location History.
7. Find My Friends
It should not be confused with the Find my iPhone; Find my friends is only available for the iOS platform. So, if your friends and family have an iPhone or an iPad, finding my friends could be one of the best family tracking apps for you. The app can be found natively on all iOS devices and even on Apple Watch. Although there is no support for macOS, you can access this feature on the iCloud web. Even if you keep in mind that, since iCloud is not compatible with most browsers, the only option is the Safari browser.
To get started, open the “Find my friends” app and tap the Add button at the top right. Select the contacts with whom you want to share your location. As an alternative, you can enter someone’s Apple ID to send a request. Once the contact enables the location shared by his endpoint, you will be able to see them on the map.
The app also offers a really unique notification feature for a contact movement. When you tap on a contact to view detailed contact information, you will see the tab named as “Notify Me” in the top center. Tap on it and you will see two options, when a contact leaves a location and when a contact arrives in that specific location. You can choose to be notified when a contact leaves or arrives at a place by simply marking the location on the map.
Features of Find My Friends:
- Easily locate friends and family
- Location-based notifications
- Simple privacy controls
- Parental restrictions
- Free for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
- Share your location temporarily or even permanently
- Quickly share your location with nearby friends through AirDrop
- Use the phone number or even email address to share your location and invite friends to share back
- Support for 3D Touch
- Native app
- Notification features
- Restricted to Apple Devices only
8. Find My Kids: Child GPS-watch & Phone Tracker
A useful app that will help parents find out where their child is now. To get started, you need to install the app on both the parents’ smartphones and on the child’s device, then simply activate it.
Now, mom and dad will be aware of their children’s movements and will be able to see where the child went when they finished school and returned home. There is also an SOS signal function, which will help in the case of dangerous situations to quickly determine where the child is.
If you are worried about your child, try this app. Through this app, you can track where the child is during the day in real time, as well as when you entered or left the place you marked on the map. At the same time, you will be aware of your daily activity. In case your child’s phone is in silent mode, you can send an audible signal to get his attention.
Features of Find My Kids: Child GPS-watch & Phone Tracker
- Real-time location tracking of a device
- Extensive location history can be extracted
- Emergency SOS and messaging feature
- Parents can poke their kids by sending alerts
- Let’s you see the child’s location on the map
- Let’s you listen to what is happening around your child
- Chat system
- Easy to use
- Available for Android only
- The app needs to be installed on both parent and child’s device
Price: Free with in-app purchases
By far the best of all, the Zenly app is a free real-time app available on iOS and Android. The app offers all the advantages of location sharing, such as real-time GPS locations, messaging, and stealth mode in an easy to use way.
The app also shows the amount of battery left in your family/friends’ phone, which is great for understanding why the other party doesn’t respond to text messages or calls. Setting privacy is quite simple; you can choose to completely hide, show the city or the precise location. Although Zenly works in the background, it’s the “clarity” of all the apps I’ve found. Once again, the app is free and anyone with iOS or Android can use it.
Features of Zenly
- Check real-time location on a map
- See their battery percentage to understand why you can’t reach them
- Blur or frozen mode to control your location and easily get off the grid
- Share your ETA with anyone you want to
- Free to download
- Real-time GPS tracker
- Simple to use
- Without advertising
- Simple privacy controls
- It can get noisy at times.
- 9 Best Android Gallery Apps [2019 ]
- 9 Best Applications To Control PC From Android [ 2019 ]
- 9 Best iPhone Hacking Apps And Tools [ 2019 ]
- 9 Best Google Play Store Alternatives: Similar Websites & Apps
There is no possibility to be with every member of your family all the time. But through these apps, you can at least keep an eye and get to know that they’re safe.
Out of all these apps, we recommend you to use Life360 or Glympse that these apps stood out and is proven to be the most reliable. It will still be your final decision to pick the family locator apps for iOS and Android as per your requirements because only you know the unique needs of your family.
Each of these apps should do well when you are trying to locate your family members. Be sure to see how these options for the best family locator app can work for you.
That’s it for today. These family locator apps are a great help to know where exactly your family members. Till then take full advantage of such amazing location tracker apps by trying them one by one. As we will be back soon with another interesting topic to share with you.
Stay tuned and Visit ATechGuides to find out more.